KCU Academic Scholarships
Kentucky Christian University’s new scholarship program was implemented beginning Fall 2017 and is designed to assist students and their families as they prepare to fund a college education. We continue to value test scores and grade point averages, but we also take into consideration financial need and assist students who come from out-of-state to receive a Christian education.
The following tables outline areas of scholarship opportunities tied to location, ACT scores, and financial need. (Students may receive one or all of these scholarships based on admission status and/or residency status at KCU.)
Our enrollment counselors look forward to discussing this new approach with you! Give us a call at 800-522-3181. A private, Christian college education is more affordable than you think.
Attention Athletes: Awards outlined below are not available to students receiving athletic scholarships. All athletic scholarships will be managed by the institution and NAIA limits preventing layering or stacking.
Kentucky Students Only – Scholarships
Out-of-State Students Only – Scholarships
NOTE: 1) Transfer students are eligible for the same scholarships.
2) To receive KCU scholarships, students must meet the minimum academic requirements for acceptance to the University and enroll full-time.
3) Commuters who are eligible to receive federal and/or state aid will also receive the scholarships listed above as long as KCU scholarship funds do not exceed the amount of the school bill resulting in a refund.
Attention Athletes: Awards outlined above are not available to students receiving athletic scholarships. All athletic scholarships will be managed by the institution and NAIA limits preventing layering or stacking.
Lusby Excellence Award for Christ, Character and Career
The Lusby Excellence Award is named after KCU’s founder, J.W. Lusby, and is a competitive scholarship based on an essay approved and ratified by the Kentucky Christian University Cabinet.
- Eight (8) students will be selected as winners (students must be accepted by January deadline for submission)
- Students must have a minimum 27 ACT or SAT equivalent
- Students need a 3.50 High School GPA
- Each winner will receive a $18,000 renewable each year (as long as they retain a 3.30 or greater GPA during their college career at KCU) Note: Commuter students will receive the Lusby Excellence Award as a $13,000 renewable scholarship.
- Only new freshmen students are eligible for this Award – transfers or re-admits are not eligible
- Deadline for submission of essays is January 1 of each academic year
- Parameters of the essay follow:
- Essay must be 1500-2000 words in length
- Must include a cover sheet (or title page)
- Times New Roman – 12 point, double spaced
- Suggested Topics:
- Explain in detail an event, situation, or activity the student has experienced or have involvement which exemplifies Christian character
- How has the student’s Christian walk changed his/her attitude as it pertains to peer pressure, witnessing to other students, work ethic, etc?
- How does the student believe Christian character will affect how he/she will perform in his/her chosen career?
Call your enrollment Counselor at 800-522-3181 for more details.
Scholarship Athletes are not eligible for the Lusby Scholarship.
Bible Bowl Scholarships
Kentucky Christian University has an agreement with the National Bible Bowl program and will grant $24,000 scholarships to the members of the first place team, $21,000 scholarships to the second place team, $18,000 scholarships to the third place teams and $15,000 scholarships to the fourth place team at the National Tournament. These amounts are divided equally over 4 years.
A scholarship of $24,000 will be awarded to the first place winner in the Merit Exam, a $21,000 scholarship will go to the second place winner in the Merit Exam, a scholarship of $18,000 will go to the third place winner in the Merit Exam and a $15,000 scholarship will be go to the fourth place winner in the Merit Exam at the National Tournament. These amounts are divided equally over 4 years.
Kentucky Christian University offers scholarships for KCU’s Bible Bowl Tournaments held in February and June. The amounts of awards, which are to be applied toward KCU tuition as stipulated below, are designated as follows:
|Team Winners||Exam Winners|
|First Place Team winners $24,000*||First Place Exam winner $24,000*|
|Second Place Team winners $21,000*||Second Place Exam winner $21,000*|
|Third Place Team winners $18,000*||Third Place Exam winner $18,000*|
|Fourth Place Team winners $15,000*||Fourth Place Exam winner $15,000*|
|Fifth Place Team winners $12,000*||Fifth Place Exam winner $12,000*|
|Sixth Place Team winners $9,000*||Sixth Place Exam winner $9,000*|
*This number reflects the total award which will be divided equally over a period of 4 years.
Recipients of this “stackable” scholarship must maintain 15 hour minimum per semester and a 2.5 GPA.
Preaching/Speech and Vocal Scholarships
The University cooperates with several organizations sponsoring preaching, speech and vocal contests. Included are the North American Christian Convention, state teen conventions, and others. Scholarship awards in this area for first place are $2,000, second place $1,500, and third place $750.
Please note: The total of all KCU Scholarships combined may not exceed the cost of tuition in a given semester. Awards from Bible Bowl, Preaching/Speech or Vocal Scholarships must be used beginning fall semester following high school graduation.
Alumni & Church Scholarships
Scholarship Athletes are not eligible for the scholarships listed above.