Below is a list of commonly asked questions among students and their families. If you cannot find the answer to your question among those listed below, please feel free to contact us at 1(606)-474-3255.
Q: How many credit hours is the RN-BSN program?
- The RN-BSN program is 36 credit hours. To graduate with a BSN, students must complete a total of 120 credit hours. This includes all KCU registrar approved courses transferred to KCU from accredited institutions.
Q: What electives are required?
- No specific prerequisites are required. Students must complete the Arts & Sciences core, the RN-BSN program of study, and have a total of 120 credit hours. Most students need a history elective and/or a humanities/fine arts prerequisites to complete the Arts & Sciences core.
Q: If I need to complete electives, will they be available online through KCU?
- Yes, KCU will provide an online option for completion of elective hours.
Q: Are there program components that require a visit to campus?
- No, the program is fully online. While students are welcome to visit us on campus, all aspects of the program including registration, academic advising, clinical activities, bookstore purchases, and bill payments can be completed online.
Q: Do any of the courses have a clinical component?
- Yes, three of the courses have clinical components. The clinical requirements are fulfilled independently by students in their home communities.
Q: Do any of the courses have scheduled times when I have to be available online?
- No, the program is designed in an asynchronous format. The courses all have established deadlines for assignments and projects. The student completes assignments at a time convenient for him or her.
Q: What are the costs?
- Refer to the Program Costs page
Q: I have never taken online classes. Is there technology assistance available for me?
- Yes, the program is designed to gradually introduce students into various types of technology that are incorporated into the courses. The University provides technology support and a distance education librarian is embedded in all online course sites.
Q: How long does the program take to complete?
- The program is usually 18 months of study over a two year period. Courses are offered during the fall, spring, and summer semesters with scheduled breaks throughout the program.