The Yancey School of Nursing has a limited enrollment. Applicants are reviewed by the Nursing faculty. Selection of Yancey School of Nursing applicants is based on the following criteria:
- Successful completion of the following pre-requisite or equivalent courses with a “C” or above:
- ENG 101: English Composition I
- ENG 102: English Composition II
- BIO 113: Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIO 114: Anatomy & Physiology II
- BIO 115: Anatomy & Physiology Lab
- HCP 101: Introduction to Psychology
- Completion of a minimum of 30 credit hours or more of college-level course work (courses numbered below the 100 level will not be considered as part of the required 30 credit hours).
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all college courses taken (as a high school or college student). Science grades are averaged if courses have been repeated.
- Minimum ACT Composite score of 21 or previously completed degree from an accredited institution.
- The Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI) Test of Academic Essential Skills (TEAS) may be used as an alternative to the ACT requirement for applicants meeting the following eligibility criteria:
-Are more than 5 years post high school AND
o Have never taken the ACT or SAT OR
o Have <21 ACT minimum TEAS total score of 60% will be accepted in lieu of a minimum 21 ACT. Official transcripts must be submitted directly from ATI. Retake scores will be accepted if the following conditions are met:o Retake must be a different test version than previous attempts
o No more than 3 retakes in a year
o Remediation period of two weeks between retakes
Applicants must visit ATI Testing and complete online registration for a test administration in their location.
- Minimum TOEFL iBTA English proficiency score of 84 and speaking score of 26 required for applicants for whom English is not their native language.
- Personal statement describing the applicant’s interest in nursing as a career and the reason for desiring to enroll in the nursing major.
- Anatomy and Physiology I & II (life sciences courses) must have been completed within 5 years prior to application to the nursing major.
- Personal interviews may be required.
Applicants with more than 2 failures of required courses within 3 years of application to the nursing major are ineligible to apply.