- Office of Academic Affairs
- Registrar's Office
- Online Campus
- KCU Graduate School
- Keeran School of Education
- Sack School of Bible & Ministry
- School of Arts & Sciences
- School of Business
- School of Music
- Yancey School of Nursing On Campus
- Yancey School of Nursing RN-BSN On Line
- School of Social Work & Human Services
- Download Transcript Request Form
- Alumni & Friends
- Student Services
- Offices & Services
Marching Band Coming to Kentucky Christian University
Marching Band Approved
The Board of Trustees of the University voted recently to add marching band as a competitive opportunity for students interested in pursuing musical excellence in a Christian environment. "Marching band," says KCU’s President, Dr. Jeff Metcalf, "has been an element to our strategic plan for quite some time and it is tremendously exciting to see it emerging into reality. KCU has long had a national reputation for excellence in vocal music and it is exciting to see the Marching Knights build an instrumental program on this solid foundation."
Mr. Tracy Schumann, Professor of Music and Director of the Marching Knights, notes that the marching band program at the University will provide exciting opportunities for students. "Marching band is a perfect complement to the academic and athletic programs at KCU and I am thrilled that the Board of Trustees had the foresight to take this important step. As I have begun to recruit students for the marching band, I have been impressed with the level of talent coming out of high school programs and I look forward to helping take them to the next level of musical and performance excellence."
Opportunities for Students
So, what type of students will be considered for the Marching Knights squad? "The university's mission is to educate students for Christian leadership and service in the church and professions throughout the world," notes Dr. Metcalf, "and our first priority is to attract students who are enthusiastic about this mission." Mr. Schumann goes on to say, "in addition to being a good fit with our mission, we are looking for students who have the ability to perform at a high level musically, and who have the desire and dedication it takes to perform to the absolute best of their ability. Marching band is demanding and our goal is to create a program that achieves the regional and national reputation our vocal program enjoys."
Students interested in the Marching Knights program may contact Mr. Schumann at firstname.lastname@example.org or 606-474-3262 or 419-348-1842.
A recruited Marching Knights member, regardless of college major, could be eligible to receive a scholarship based on factors such as:
- Membership and activity in high school band
- Academic achievement
- Moral character
- Instrument proficiency
Schedule for Program Development
- 2012-2013 Academic Year – Percussion, Pit Percussion, Electric Guitar, Electric Bass, Set Drum, Vocal Soloist
- 2013-2014 Academic Year – The areas listed above plus Brass, Woodwind
- 2014-2015 Academic Year – The areas listed above plus Color Guard
The Percussion and Pit will march on the field during the 2012-2013 academic year. The rest of the band will either march or serve as a Pep Band depending on the total number of participants.
Regardless, all participants will still be eligible for scholarships.
Responsibilities of Scholarship Recipients:
- Attend Band Camp, held August 12-17, the week prior to the beginning of Fall classes. Housing and meals paid by KCU.
- Attend all rehearsals scheduled for Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:30-5:00pm.
- Attend Saturday rehearsals on home football game days.
- Perform at all home football games.
- Perform with basketball Pep Bands.
- Some scholarship recipients will have Spring semester responsibilities for Concert Band.
- Maintain a positive attitude and team spirit.
- Maintain a positive moral character as defined in the KCU student handbook.
- Comply with all scholarship requirements as defined in the KCU handbook.
- Submit signed record of grades and attendance from all professors twice each semester.
Process for Scholarship Awards:
- Application and acceptance to KCU
- Apply on-line or Download and Submit the KCU Band Scholarship Application (Application including references)
- Music Audition (preferably in person, but can be arranged via video)
- Scholarships will be awarded only after all admissions requirements have been met